I recently attempted to create a new tag and a corresponding description for it. Not every step was clear to me and, whilst I think I simply did it wrong, I'd like to check the process before I iritate people. I'm worried about the actual outcome this time, but I would like to know what to do another time.
The steps were:
- Typed the new tag name into the tag field of a question, this one. The new tag was "Science-fiction" and I applied it as an edit to a question raised by someone else.
- After completing the edit an automatic dialogue invited me to create a description. I typed "Questions originating from a stated interest in some concept of science fiction and seeking its relation to real world space exploration or technology". I think that there are lots of questions like this already and it suggests to me that many people might be encouraged to take an interest in real space exploration because of curiosity beginning with sc-fi. Sometimes the posters are given short shrift, sometimes they get a respectful answer. The idea of a tag is intended to offer more credibility to such questions.
- At this point I may have done something wrong, there appear to be two text boxes to type in at this point, I chose the first because I was using a small screen and didn't see the lower one until I had completed the description.
- Nevertheless I pressed the orange "submit/save/post" button and got a dialogue box saying "your tag description will now be reviewed", or something like that.
- In the mean time the question that I had edited was anonymously edited again and the tag was removed. I understand that at this point the tag description had not yet been approved so the editor couldn't have seen it.
- In due course I received a reputation +2 saying "Tag Wiki suggested edit was approved" though following the message leads to a "Page not found".
- Similarly, looking in the tag cloud under "Science" lists three other tags but not Science Fiction.
- What should I have done?
- Is a Tag Wiki the same thing as the description that appears under each tag in the cloud listing?
- Does a tag disappear if its only use-instance on a question is deleted?
- How does one prevent people acting on a tag before its description has been approved?