This was the Topic of the Week thread for 2013. The current thread is here. Please post new suggestions there!
One of the things that Stack Exchange in general has found effective is to devote a week to a specific topic in which members of the site feel is lacking. For instance, Arquade will frequently have a topic week to discuss a new game coming out, or Science Fiction and Fantasy will ask more questions about Star Wars. They encourage the entire membership to focus asking questions on a particular topic, often with the use of a single tag, especially if we feel like the site should be including more of those types of questions.
I am planning on setting this up, at least for a while, for this site. Each Sunday, one of the mods will pick a highly voted answer to this question for which to select as the topic of the week. This will keep going as long as there is interest, both from the mods and the community as a whole. During that week, we encourage all of the active members to ask at least one question on that specific topic. Do research if you have to. In the end, we will be able to fill out this site, to include things which we don't have enough activity yet.
Please give a single tag per question which you feel is underrated, and give an explanation of that tag to the group, so everyone can understand enough to start asking questions. Linking relevant Wikipedia articles can be of help, or other useful starting points for research. Finally, if you have a request for a specific week, then please include it in your answer. For instance, if there is a significant anniversary, a new launch, flyby, etc, then it seems logical we should have a topic of the week built around that subject.
Topics of the Week
- September 29 - October 5, 2013 - planetary-science
- October 6 - October 12, 2013 - juno
- October 13 - October 19, 2013 - medical
- October 20 - October 26, 2013 - apollo-program
- October 27 - November 2, 2013 - colonization
- November 3 - November 9, 2013 - Developing Space Programs brazil, aeb, isro, iran, japan, jaxa, china, csa
- November 10 - November 16, 2013 - comet
- November 17 - November 23, 2013 - mars-one
- November 24 - November 30, 2013 - spaceport launch-site launchpad launch-escape-system
- December 1 - December 7 - propellants
- December 8 - December 14 - astrobiology
- December 15 - December 21 - communication
- December 22 - December 28 - training astronaut-training training-facilities
- December 29 - January 4 - soyuz