Relevant Q&As from MetaSO:
- Not the Place for Legal Questions
- Is there a Stack Exchange site for Law Questions? If not, why not?
- Is "consult your lawyer" a valid answer to legal questions?
At the moment we have got 9 questions dealing with space law.
I propose to rigidly enforce StackExchange-wide policy on refraining from legal advice by closing the questions as off-topic. The reasons are as follows:
- StackExchange, and/or posters may be held liable for legal advice (see this pearl).
- In some jurisdictions it is illegal to provide legal advice without registration, passing the bar exam, whatever.
- Laws do change, so the answer which was perfect yesterday may be obsolete tomorrow.
- People expect those who answer at StackExchange sites to be at least somewhat proficient and knowledgeable in the subject of the question and rely on community voting to weed out the chaff from the weed. Unfortunately, highly specialized fields like law are not amenable to crowdvoting.
The egregious example of a law question that should be IMNSHO closed is Jurisdiction over crime in space.